Congratulations! We are pleased to inform you that Boone High School has been selected as an Honor Choir for the 2017 Candlelight Processional and Massed Choir Program at Disney’s Epcot Theme Park. Honor Choirs are selected from those ensembles that were ranked with the top 26 scores of those within the 6 counties surrounding the Walt Disney World Resort®.
Boone Chorus is required to perform a minimum of three nights with a minimum of 50 performers and a maximum of 82. Round-trip transportation will be provided for all of our performance dates between Boone and the Walt Disney World Resort®. Boone Chorus will also be provided an honorarium and special recognition in the Epcot Festival of the Holidays program.
What to do NOW
- Fill out the COMMITMENT LETTER for Candlelight. It is critical that you review the performance dates with your family and complete the form accurately. You will need to consider potential conflicts, especially athletics or family vacations.
- Study the music at home! You need to be well prepared for our first rehearsal on Tuesday, October 24.
Who is involved?
Only students who participated in the Disney Candlelight video audition are eligible to participate. This includes Concert Choir, Advanced Women, most of Men’s Choir, and select students from Belles Voix and Ladies’ Choir.
Performances at Epcot:
- Tuesday, December 5, 2017 – 5:00 pm
- Thursday, December 7, 2017 – 6:45 pm & 8:15 pm
- Thursday, December 28, 2017 – 6:45 pm & 8:15 pm
Mandatory Rehearsals for all Candlelight participants @ Boone:
- Tuesday, October 24, 2017 – 2:30-4:30pm
- Thursday, October 26, 2017 – 2:30-4:30pm
- Saturday, October 28, 2017 – 9:00-10:30am
- Additional rehearsals will be added soon to the calendar in late Nov/early Dec.
Boone Chorus and Boone Orchestra will perform a FREE evening concert in the Boone High School auditorium on Thursday, October 12 at 7pm. Invite your family, friends, teachers, etc… Everyone is welcome. We are excited for choir and orchestra to share the stage for the first time!
- You can view the reminder letter for complete details. This was sent home on 10/5/17.
- Students should make sure to follow all the steps required to earn an “A”.
- All students will wear their new chorus tee shirts, solid black dress pants, and solid black shoes for this concert.
- Make sure you have a ride. Students who can’t go home and come back in the evening are expected to bring their uniform to school and stay until concert time. There is an after-school dinner program that students can utilize. Not having a ride is not an excusable absence. Carpooling is highly recommended.
Semester 1 PFC of $25 and uniform rental of $30 due for most students today. SchoolPay.com works best, but we also accept cash and checks made out to BHS. Students who sold items in the cookie dough fundraiser have a different timeline, if they need it.
- Pick up your items from our cookie dough delivery on Thursday, October 5.
- Deliver the items on Oct 5 or 6, and then bring in those funds on Monday, October 9.
- Also, please look up how much profit you earned on this fundraiser so that you can calculate how much you still owe, if any. Please make a payment for that as well.
WHAT & WHEN: Boone Chorus will record our video audition for Disney’s Candlelight Processional after school on Monday, September 11, from 2:30-3:30pm.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND: All students in Men’s Choir, Advanced Women, and Concert Choir are required to attend. Seniors in Belles Voix and Ladies’ Choir are welcome to join us without auditioning. 9-11th graders in Ladies’ Choir and Belles Voix must pre-audition using the methods described here. The deadline for that audition is Wednesday, 9/6/17.
HOW TO PREPARE: All students must have learned & memorized the audition excerpts listed on this page. Sheet music and practice tracks are provided so you can learn at home here.
Chorus students and parents looking for information about Disney Candlelight can check the link below:
Notice that our Candlelight video audition is on Monday, September 11, from 2:30-4pm.
Hello parents! At our chorus parent meeting tonight, the following links will be useful.
Boone Chorus is a dynamic and growing department with exciting opportunities for students across the Reservation. Students who sing in choir at Boone will get to make incredible music, grow in their personal musicianship, be part of a wonderful community, and experience the amazing power of singing together with others. If you are interested in taking choir this year, send Mr. Doherty a message. It’s not too late to sign up!
Please note that we are actively working on fixing scheduling issues. Due to inadequacies with the auto scheduler, it is fairly common for students to be in the wrong chorus class at this point. Here’s some common issues and their solutions.
I don’t have chorus in my schedule, and I want it!
Both Mrs. Noble and Mr. Doherty will be actively working to fix schedules before and after the first days of school. If you want to contact your counselor directly or make an appointment with them, that may help us get things done. More importantly, send Mr. Doherty a message describing what you want to drop or change in your current schedule in order to add chorus.
I’m in a different chorus class than I expected.
This is fairly common, so please don’t be overly concerned. We will work with your counselors to get you in the right period. It may be good to send Mr. Doherty a message just to be sure.
If you have any other concerns, don’t hesitate to send Mr. Doherty a message 🙂
Congratulations to all members of Boone Chorus for the wonderful placement auditions! We are blessed to have so many talented students in the program. If you were accidentally left off of these rosters, please email Mr. Doherty at jussi.doherty (a) ocps.net immediately. We can’t wait to get started making music again in the fall.
- ALL students should plan on attending the annual awesome Chorus Retreat on Saturday, September 16, 2017. Details TBA.
- Members of Concert Choir and Advanced Women should plan to attend a mixer on Tuesday, August 22, from 5-8pm.
We are excited to announce our student leadership team for 2017-18! We are so fortunate that we had many excellent applicants for these positions. If you weren’t selected for one of these officer positions, know that we have other positions available within the chorus department, such as choir managers and choir librarians. Thank you for applying and we look forward to working with everyone next year!
- Nick Oropeza, President
- Johan Quevedo, President-Elect
- Jose Rodriguez, Vice President
- Jessica Rojas, Vice President
- Carly Meyer, Secretary
- Melanie Gaboy, Recruiter