Edgewater High School Newspaper Established 1952

Robotics Students Prep for Competition

In the last few months, Robotics 2 students have been working diligently on their robots for the VEX’s in the zone competition. There are many different designs that students have come up with for the competition.

“I feel like this competition is a great challenge to get us students thinking about problems we might not normally consider in the every day classroom, such as remaining balanced as the goal stack gets higher, and the best way to carry fairly heavy objects,” said Robotics 2 student Emily Wilkinson.

“The competition also provides an opportunity for us to problem solve and rework everything on a new level with the pressure of competition outside of just Edgewater. Although I think this is a great opportunity, much of the time, many students seem to not take the competition so seriously, which I wish wasn’t the case.”

The competition is comprised of two alliances – one “red” and one “blue” – composed of two teams each, compete in matches consisting of a fifteen-second autonomous period followed by one minute and forty-five seconds of driver-controlled play.

Object of the game is to attain a higher score than the opposing alliance by stacking cones on goals, scoring mobile goals in goal zones, having the highest stacks, and parking robots.

The first competition that the Robotics students will attend is on December 16.