Edgewater High School Newspaper Established 1952

Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Shooting

On the morning of Valentine’s Day, students, faculty, and staff went to Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Broward County, Florida to what was seemingly another average day.

That morning, the school had conducted a fire drill. Later that day, the alarm rang loudly once again. The students didn’t think much of it, thinking it was another drill.

As the students began to evacuate, they quickly ran back into their classrooms, shrieking.

Nineteen year-old Nikolas Cruz, former Douglas High student, had triggered the fire alarms to draw people out of the classrooms, only to meet them in the hallways with an AR-15 semi-automatic rifle, and began to open fire.

Seventeen people were shot and killed and another 14 were injured during the attack.

During the attack, many students pulled out their phones, some to reach out to loved ones, others to record the attack. There has been multiple videos of the shooting surfacing on the internet, all equally as gruesome, as they depict overturned desks, dead bodies, blood spilled onto the floor, and the screams of students.

Following the attack, Cruz disguised himself as a student and evacuated with the crowds of people running out of the school, went to a Subway sandwich shop, then a McDonalds, before being captured by authorities forty minutes later.

This has been the third largest school shooting recorded in America.