A HISTORY OF THE BOONE HIGH SCHOOL BAND
William R. Boone High School was founded in 1952 when Orlando High School split forming two new high schools in the downtown area. As the oldest school in Orlando, Boone holds many strong traditions and a history of excellence in the performing arts. The Boone High School “Sound of the Braves” embraces the support from our local community and thrives towards excellence in many areas. The marching band, wind ensembles, jazz band, and percussion ensembles at Boone High School have all received high levels of distinction, which can be seen in the following resume:
-Sound of the Braves is 5th place in FMBC State Championship Finals
-Sound of the Braves places 9th at FMBC State Championships
-Varsity Winter Guard wins the WGI Orlando and WGI Southeastern Regional Championships
-Wind Ensemble earns superior rating at District and State Concert MPA Events
-Varsity Color Guard is a WGI Regional Finalist and both JV and Varsity are medalists at the FFCC Championships.
-Marching Band is 7th Place at FMBC State Championships
-Wind Ensemble receives Superior Rating at District and State MPA Events
– Wind Symphony performs at the Florida Music Educators Convention in Tampa
– Wind Symphony receives straight superior ratings at District & State Concert MPA!
– Symphonic & Concert Bands earn straight excellent ratings at District Concert MPA!
– Wind Symphony performs at Carnegie Hall!
– Wind Symphony is invited to perform at the 2012 FMEA Conference!
– Wind Symphony invited to perform at the New York Wind Band Festival hosted at
– Wind Symphony receives straight superior rating at District Concert MPA and a 1, 2, 2 at State Concert MPA
– Symphonic Band receives overall superior rating at District Concert MPA
– District MPA: Marching Band received straight superiors
– Competitor in the FMBC State Championships
– Music For All National Festival in Indianapolis, IN
Invited ensembles were Wind Ensemble and Percussion Ensemble
– State FMBC Finalist: Awarded Best Percussion in State
– Boone High School was awarded the opportunity to host the Florida Citrus Bowl
– Timber Creek Marching Arts Festival: Best in Class & Best Brass
– Space Coat Invitational: Grand champion & won all captions
2003 – 2006
– Awarded “Best Band” in the winter Park Christmas Parade
– Symphonic Band performs at Music for All National Festival in Indianapolis, IN
– Otto Krushaar Award: Awarded to bands receiving superior ratings in every
festival, including marching and concert.
Music For All National Festival/BOA (Bands of America)
New York, New York
Will be performing at IBM Atrium with all Performing Arts.
Winter Park Music Festival in Winter Park, Colorado
1998 & 2003
Smokey Mountain Music Festival in Gatlinburg, Tennessee
Dan Jordan – Jazz musician
Benoit Glazer – Music Director for Cirque de Solei “La Nouba”
Patrick Posey – Professional Saxophone player in NY
Joey Vascik – Boone high School alumnus and Assistant Principal in Orlando
Brian Scanlin – Professional trumpet player at Disney. Has performed with Stan
Kenton Tribute Band and Arturo Sandoval.
Joseph Hermann – Director of Bands at Tennessee Tech University
Dr. John Carmichael – Director of Bands at the University of South Florida
Dr. David Waybright – Director of Bands at the University of Florida
Joe Kreines – Professional Conductor and Arranger
Richard Clary – Director of Wind Ensemble Studies at Florida State University
Dr. Gordon Brock – Director of Bands at University of North Florida
Dr. Bobby Adams – Director of Bands at Stetson University
Dr. Bill Wiedrich – Director of Bands at University of Florida
Dr. James Croft – Former Director of Bands at Florida State University
Dr. Rodney Dorsey – Wind Symphony Conductor at Depaul University
Dr. Gary Green – Director of Bands at University of Miami
Dr. Rick Greenwood – Director of Bands at University of Central Florida