All members of Boone Chorus will perform a FREE evening concert in the Boone High School auditorium on October 20 at 7pm. Invite your family, friends, teachers, etc… Everyone is welcome. This concert will feature a program of American music, including Appalachian folk music, jazz, doo-wop, gospel, and more. You’re going to love it! View the concert reminder letter below for concert details.
- This concert is worth more points than any other assignment in the first quarter. Make sure you follow the steps required to earn an “A”.
- All students will wear our new chorus tee shirt, black dress pants, black dress shoes, and black socks (or hose) for this concert.
- Make sure you have a ride. Students who can’t go home and come back in the evening are expected to bring their uniform to school and stay until concert time. Not having a ride is not an excusable absence. Carpooling is highly recommended.
- Members of Ladies’ Choir, Belles Voix, and Advanced Women have a required after school rehearsal on Monday, October 19, from 2:30-4pm.
All interested students will need to learn their part in the audition excerpt this week (Sep 21-27) so you can record it next week after school. Make sure you are available to record during the times listed below!
OCPS Honor Choir
- Audition Requirements: Single recorded excerpt and vocalises
- Audition Dates: Recorded auditions must be submitted by Oct 3rd
- Honor Choir Dates:
- Mandatory Orientation rehearsal: November 16, 5:00 to 7:30pm @ Boone High School
- Mandatory rehearsal: January 27, 5:00 to 7:30 (location TBA)
- January 30-31 (all day), Calvary Assembly
- Approximate Cost: Free Application, $40 registration fee (if accepted)
***Mr. Doherty and/or Mrs. Noble are available for rehearsal on Monday, Sept 21 (3:00-3:30), Wednesday Sept 23 (2:00 to 2:30) or Thursday, September 24 (3:00 to 3:30).
***Students can record their audition with Mr. Doherty or Mrs. Noble on Monday, September 28 (3:00-3:45), Wednesday, September 30 (2:00-3:00) or Friday, October 2 (3:00-4:00). No other time is available, so please plan ahead.
Audition Tracks (NOTE: Learning Track = your part played loudly; Audition Track = the track you will use to audition with, you hear all parts EXCEPT yours)
The Walt Disney World Candlelight Processional takes place from the end of November until the end of December at the American Gardens Theatre in Epcot. The show is a retelling of the Christmas story with full orchestra, massed choir, and a celebrity narrator.
We have auditioned and participated in Candlelight for many years. Here are some things that are different about this year’s audition/selection process:
- The maximum number of singers any school can bring on a given night is 125. This means that only Concert Choir, Advanced Women, Men’s Choir, and seniors from Ladies’ Choir & Belles Voix will audition for Candlelight.
- There will be 25 Honor Choirs selected instead of 18.
- Honor choirs will be given 3 nights instead of 4.
Singers will still be given 2 tickets for every night that they perform.
Members of Ladies’ Choir and Belles Voix may be included in our Candlelight video audition by participating in a pre-audition described below.
- LOOK at the audition cuts for “O Holy Night” and “What Child is This” (click the links to view/print the sheet music) MAKE SURE YOU LOOK AT THE AUDITION CUTS AND SING THE AUDITION CUTS ONLY.
- LEARN your part for the audition portion of the song. Do this using these part tracks.
- RECORD yourself singing BOTH selections. At the beginning of each of the recordings, CLEARLY and SLOWLY say your first and last name and the voice part you are singing. You may make one recording for each selection, of one recording with both selections on it.
- Recordings may be either audio or video. MP3 is recommended for audio recordings and YouTube is recommended for video recordings. If we can’t open your files, then your recordings will not be judged.
- Record the song with the track, but YOU SHOULD BE HEARD on the recording. If we can only hear the recording and can’t hear you we will not judge the recording.
- CHECK your recording to make sure that you can be heard. Ask yourself if this is your best quality of work. Send in a recording that you can be proud of!
- EMAIL the recording to firstname.lastname@example.org by WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 16th at 6pm. Late recordings will not be judged. Make sure that in your subject line you include your name and voice part.
- WAIT for Mr. Doherty to judge your recordings. Results will be posted on Thursday, September 17th in the chorus room.
If you are selected from this pre-audition, you must be available to record our audition DVD (as a group) on Friday, September 18th from 2:30 – 3:30pm.
Congratulations to the following students who were selected to perform in Boone’s ACOUSTIC NIGHT! Thank you to everyone who auditioned…
- All acts must participate in the dress rehearsal on Wednesday, September 16, from 1:30-4pm, in the auditorium. Any acts not present or fully prepared (ex: I forgot my amp!) for this dress rehearsal may be cut from the concert.
- The show is Thursday, September 17, at 7pm. Your call-time is 6pm.
- All songs must be from memory—no sheet music, lyric sheets, etc.
- Wear your concert outfit or bring a photo of yourself in those clothes.
- Help promote the show! Tell your friends!!! Tickets are $3 sold at the door.
- David & Melanie
- Skylar’s group: Can the song be a little shorter? If not, ok.
- Luke G.
- Lucy & Callie
- Sofia D.
- Joseph C.
- Melanie & Mirianys
- Joey R.
- Mady & Callie
- Carly & Ella
- David R.
- Elizabeth V.: pending re-audition with guitar accompaniment
- Rafael & Callie
- Kaleigh T.
- Micah R.
- Callie E.
All BHS chorus students will participate in Chorus Retreat on Saturday, September 12. Students will rehearse music in the morning, have a potluck style lunch, participate in team-building activities in the afternoon, and end the day with Jeremiah’s Italian Ice.
All students are expected to bring a food item for lunch!
The 4th annual Boone Acoustic Night will be held Thursday, September 17, at 7pm in the auditorium. This benefit concert will feature Boone students in “unplugged” musical acts.
General admission is $3 at the door, and all proceeds benefit the chorus department. This show is open to ALL students at Boone High School. All you have to do is audition on Sep 9 after school.
Sign up for an audition time on the chorus room door (Room 10.168) located in the music department lobby. All selected acts will be required to participate in the dress rehearsal on September 16 from 1:30-4:00pm in the auditorium.
All acts must be performed on acoustic instruments: acoustic guitar, drums, vocals, piano (provided), etc.
- Acoustic-Electric is ok if you bring your own amp
- Song must be memorized for audition
- Bring printed song lyrics to your audition for review
- You must audition on the song you want to perform
Questions? See Mr. Doherty or Mrs. Noble in Room 10.168 (chorus)
Fall Chorus Parent Meeting
Our first chorus parent meeting of the year is on September 3 at 7PM. Please plan to attend this important meeting where we are planning to create a more organized Chorus Volunteer Team. There are now benefits to volunteering including first dibs on chaperoning Candlelight, a chorus parent team tee shirt, and free upgraded VIP tickets to our shows. If you’re interested in helping the chorus this year, please plan to attend this important meeting.
Help with Fall Fundraiser
We are in need of 2-3 parents to help streamline our fall Ad Book fundraiser (ads and sponsorships). If you are willing to help work as part of a team to help get corporate sales, create a plan to reach our local businesses, or graphic design of the ad book itself, please reply to this message. We will start this fundraiser in week two of school, so time is of the essence!
This is the dress we are buying back
We are actively seeking to “buy back” unused choir dresses from former Boone Chorus students. These dresses will be SOLD to new students at the discounted price of $25, and that money will then be passed on to you, the original owner. To take advantage of this opportunity, bring the dress to the Boone chorus room. It must be CLEAN and in good condition. If your name and phone number are clearly labeled on the dress, we will contact you when the dress has sold.
We will also “buy back” men’s uniforms for $25 if they are current, clean, and in good condition. The process is the same as above.
We are only buying the sleeveless dress pictured below because it’s the only one we use now. Of course, dress donations would also be welcome!
The 2015-16 school year is almost here! The calendar has most dates on it, and the rest of the web site will be updated over the next few weeks. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us!
Concert Choir is performing at both Baccalaureate and at Graduation. Make sure you fill out and return the permission slip for graduation this week!
- Baccalaureate info
- Sunday, May 17 @ First Presbyterian Church downtown; Meet in the sanctuary at 2pm
- CC students will transport themselves to Baccalaureate. See handout for a map, parking, times, etc.
- Graduation permission slip
- Thursday, May 21 @ UCF Arena; We depart Boone at 5:45pm
- CC students will ride a school bus to the UCF arena and back. See permission slip for details.