Combined Men’s Choir at District MPA
All chorus students will participate in Music Performance Assessments for high school choir in February. See the permission slip for complete details.
- Choose the correct permission slip!
- Thursday, 2/25– Ladies’ Choir & Combined Men’s Choir (this is for all chorus men)
- Friday, 2/26– Belles Voix, Advanced Women, and Concert Choir
- All permission slips are due Thursday, Feb 18.
- Chaperones (21+) needed! If you wish to volunteer, send an email to jussi . doherty @ ocps.net (remove those spaces) and make sure you have updated your online volunteer application for the current school year.
On January 29, 2016, all the men of Boone Chorus will participate in the 2016 Stetson Men’s Choir Festival under the direction of Timothy Peter, D.M.A., for a musical event designed to affirm the participation of young men in the vocal arts. This year’s vocal “athletes” will interact with dozens of other male singers from all over the State of Florida during rehearsals and social time. Music will be learned and performed in one day – no preparation is necessary… We have Mr. Johns’ firm support in this endeavor!
Our Disney Candlelight performances are here! All students MUST have a permission slip and Disney release form on file with us. For those documents and all the details, please see the file below.
You also have access to our Candlelight roster. This shows exactly what dates you are assigned. Please use this to stay informed! “Y” means you are performing that day. “N” means you are not.
All members of Boone Chorus will perform a FREE evening concert in the Boone High School auditorium on October 20 at 7pm. Invite your family, friends, teachers, etc… Everyone is welcome. This concert will feature a program of American music, including Appalachian folk music, jazz, doo-wop, gospel, and more. You’re going to love it! View the concert reminder letter below for concert details.
- This concert is worth more points than any other assignment in the first quarter. Make sure you follow the steps required to earn an “A”.
- All students will wear our new chorus tee shirt, black dress pants, black dress shoes, and black socks (or hose) for this concert.
- Make sure you have a ride. Students who can’t go home and come back in the evening are expected to bring their uniform to school and stay until concert time. Not having a ride is not an excusable absence. Carpooling is highly recommended.
- Members of Ladies’ Choir, Belles Voix, and Advanced Women have a required after school rehearsal on Monday, October 19, from 2:30-4pm.
All interested students will need to learn their part in the audition excerpt this week (Sep 21-27) so you can record it next week after school. Make sure you are available to record during the times listed below!
OCPS Honor Choir
- Audition Requirements: Single recorded excerpt and vocalises
- Audition Dates: Recorded auditions must be submitted by Oct 3rd
- Honor Choir Dates:
- Mandatory Orientation rehearsal: November 16, 5:00 to 7:30pm @ Boone High School
- Mandatory rehearsal: January 27, 5:00 to 7:30 (location TBA)
- January 30-31 (all day), Calvary Assembly
- Approximate Cost: Free Application, $40 registration fee (if accepted)
***Mr. Doherty and/or Mrs. Noble are available for rehearsal on Monday, Sept 21 (3:00-3:30), Wednesday Sept 23 (2:00 to 2:30) or Thursday, September 24 (3:00 to 3:30).
***Students can record their audition with Mr. Doherty or Mrs. Noble on Monday, September 28 (3:00-3:45), Wednesday, September 30 (2:00-3:00) or Friday, October 2 (3:00-4:00). No other time is available, so please plan ahead.
Audition Tracks (NOTE: Learning Track = your part played loudly; Audition Track = the track you will use to audition with, you hear all parts EXCEPT yours)
The Walt Disney World Candlelight Processional takes place from the end of November until the end of December at the American Gardens Theatre in Epcot. The show is a retelling of the Christmas story with full orchestra, massed choir, and a celebrity narrator.
We have auditioned and participated in Candlelight for many years. Here are some things that are different about this year’s audition/selection process:
- The maximum number of singers any school can bring on a given night is 125. This means that only Concert Choir, Advanced Women, Men’s Choir, and seniors from Ladies’ Choir & Belles Voix will audition for Candlelight.
- There will be 25 Honor Choirs selected instead of 18.
- Honor choirs will be given 3 nights instead of 4.
Singers will still be given 2 tickets for every night that they perform.
Members of Ladies’ Choir and Belles Voix may be included in our Candlelight video audition by participating in a pre-audition described below.
- LOOK at the audition cuts for “O Holy Night” and “What Child is This” (click the links to view/print the sheet music) MAKE SURE YOU LOOK AT THE AUDITION CUTS AND SING THE AUDITION CUTS ONLY.
- LEARN your part for the audition portion of the song. Do this using these part tracks.
- RECORD yourself singing BOTH selections. At the beginning of each of the recordings, CLEARLY and SLOWLY say your first and last name and the voice part you are singing. You may make one recording for each selection, of one recording with both selections on it.
- Recordings may be either audio or video. MP3 is recommended for audio recordings and YouTube is recommended for video recordings. If we can’t open your files, then your recordings will not be judged.
- Record the song with the track, but YOU SHOULD BE HEARD on the recording. If we can only hear the recording and can’t hear you we will not judge the recording.
- CHECK your recording to make sure that you can be heard. Ask yourself if this is your best quality of work. Send in a recording that you can be proud of!
- EMAIL the recording to firstname.lastname@example.org by WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 16th at 6pm. Late recordings will not be judged. Make sure that in your subject line you include your name and voice part.
- WAIT for Mr. Doherty to judge your recordings. Results will be posted on Thursday, September 17th in the chorus room.
If you are selected from this pre-audition, you must be available to record our audition DVD (as a group) on Friday, September 18th from 2:30 – 3:30pm.
Congratulations to the following students who were selected to perform in Boone’s ACOUSTIC NIGHT! Thank you to everyone who auditioned…
- All acts must participate in the dress rehearsal on Wednesday, September 16, from 1:30-4pm, in the auditorium. Any acts not present or fully prepared (ex: I forgot my amp!) for this dress rehearsal may be cut from the concert.
- The show is Thursday, September 17, at 7pm. Your call-time is 6pm.
- All songs must be from memory—no sheet music, lyric sheets, etc.
- Wear your concert outfit or bring a photo of yourself in those clothes.
- Help promote the show! Tell your friends!!! Tickets are $3 sold at the door.
- David & Melanie
- Skylar’s group: Can the song be a little shorter? If not, ok.
- Luke G.
- Lucy & Callie
- Sofia D.
- Joseph C.
- Melanie & Mirianys
- Joey R.
- Mady & Callie
- Carly & Ella
- David R.
- Elizabeth V.: pending re-audition with guitar accompaniment
- Rafael & Callie
- Kaleigh T.
- Micah R.
- Callie E.
All BHS chorus students will participate in Chorus Retreat on Saturday, September 12. Students will rehearse music in the morning, have a potluck style lunch, participate in team-building activities in the afternoon, and end the day with Jeremiah’s Italian Ice.
All students are expected to bring a food item for lunch!
The 4th annual Boone Acoustic Night will be held Thursday, September 17, at 7pm in the auditorium. This benefit concert will feature Boone students in “unplugged” musical acts.
General admission is $3 at the door, and all proceeds benefit the chorus department. This show is open to ALL students at Boone High School. All you have to do is audition on Sep 9 after school.
Sign up for an audition time on the chorus room door (Room 10.168) located in the music department lobby. All selected acts will be required to participate in the dress rehearsal on September 16 from 1:30-4:00pm in the auditorium.
All acts must be performed on acoustic instruments: acoustic guitar, drums, vocals, piano (provided), etc.
- Acoustic-Electric is ok if you bring your own amp
- Song must be memorized for audition
- Bring printed song lyrics to your audition for review
- You must audition on the song you want to perform
Questions? See Mr. Doherty or Mrs. Noble in Room 10.168 (chorus)