Edgewater High School Newspaper Established 1952

A Nightmare on Edgewater Drive? Who is Responsible?!

Upon unveiling the 2017 homecoming theme, almost immediately, responses ranged from utter confusion to outright irritation towards the theme chosen, A Nightmare on Edgewater Drive. How can our student government honestly be serious? Who mandated the final decision that made it so? It’s homecoming, not some cheap costume party that was thrown together last minute.

Jayla Spencer, sophomore, was at a total loss for words once confronted with the news.

“Really? I mean, we could have done better. Most schools do cool themes like circuses, underwater, or whatever. But no, of course, Edgewater has to choose the most ridiculous theme. Why didn’t we do a literal edge water theme? I feel that would have been a more clever approach,” she said.

Homecoming is supposed to be the most magical night of the year fashion wise, second to prom. It is not for people to walk around dressed as vampires, witches, and werewolves. To further that, are we supposed to dress semi-formal or wear a full Halloween costume? Are we honestly expected to find some form of makeshift hybrid outfit? I wonder where they would sell those at … truthfully, the answer doesn’t matter. The only thing that matters is that it appears that Edgewater’s SGA has officially ran out of ideas and we have all reached the bottom of the barrel.

“I believe people are going to actually come in Halloween costumes, just because they’re confused. I think SGA could’ve been more clear on their decision,” said Aashari Hopper, a freshman. She does not plan to attend homecoming at all, due to the theme.

The result of SGA’s decision reflects negatively upon us, the student body. We are all doomed to look like a rag-tag school of lunatics, who couldn’t decide if we were going to a Halloween house party or a semi-formal school dance. And we will all be the laughing-stock of Orange County Public Schools.