FHS Guitar Program Biography:
The Freedom High School Guitar Program has quickly grown, becoming one of the largest Performing Arts electives offered with over 200 students enrolled through three Guitar 1 classes, the Guitar Conservatory and one of three audition based Guitar Ensembles that serve as our FHS Guitar Program family. The program encompasses yearlong accredited classes that meet one period every day during the school day. Students successfully completing a guitar class receive one credit and also fulfill the FDOE Performing Arts Elective required for graduation.
The FHS Guitar Ensembles perform regularly at concerts and festivals locally and around the state of Florida. This includes presenting our annual Fall, Winter and Spring Concerts, annual December FHS Performing Arts Department “PRISM” concerts, participating in the OCPS Guitar Ensemble Music Performance Assessment, the OCPS All-County Guitar Festival, performances and clinics in the FMEA All-State Music Conference and FMEA State Guitar Festival and at several area resorts including the Walt Disney World resorts through the Walt Disney World Holiday Resort Enhancement Program.
The Freedom High School Guitar Program have enjoyed nationally and internationally renowned artists, composers and guitar professors as guest clinicians to work with our students and perform in concert together with our ensembles. Working with us include:
• Dr. Stephen Robinson – Stetson University, DeLand, FL
• William Kanengiser – University of Southern California / Los Angeles Guitar Quartet, Los Angeles, CA
• Dr. Eladio Scharrón – University of Central Florida, Orlando, FL
• Bobby Koelble – Rollins College / University of Central Florida, Orlando, FL
• Harris Becker – Long Island University, Brookville, NY
• Christopher Gotzen-Berg – Legato Foundation / Stonybook School, Long Island, NY
• Rex Willis – State College of Florida, Bradenton, FL
• Dr. Lynn McGrath – Oklahoma City University, OK / Guitar Foundation of America
• Dr. Ulisses Rocha – University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
With concert performances at FMEA All-State and the Long Island Guitar Festival in New York, the FHS Guitar Program are recognized as a member of the international guitar community.