Edgewater High School Newspaper Established 1952

Fantastic Beasts Review

The box office success of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them is proof that anything J.K Rowling touches turns to gold.  Much like its successors, Fantastic Beasts was brilliantly cast and remarkably brought to life with stunning visuals and an unpredictable storyline that had me on the edge of my seat.

It was nostalgic being back in a theater surrounded by potter heads awaiting what could possibly be the movie to get the magic pumping through our muggle veins once again.

Throughout the film I tried to my best to keep my feelings for the Harry Potter series from influencing how I viewed this film, reminding myself that these were not older versions of Ron, Hermione and Harry.

The movie takes place in New York in the roaring twenties, a time when anybody could be somebody. That’s where we meet Newt. Newt Scamander, the magizoologist new to the city with a secret. Newt had traveled near and far collecting magical beings and beasts that had been outlawed by MACUSA a council similar to the Ministry of Magic.

In a careless moment, Scamander swaps briefcases with a non-Maj, Jacob Kowalski, who unleashes the beasts who promptly begin to reap havoc on the busy streets. Through circumstance and tribulations, Newt teams up with Tina Goldstein, ex auror and Newt’s second shadow and Kowalski to save the world.

Through humorous and heart racing events the band of friends ends up saving the world (for the time being- there are three other movies expected to be made) and recovering the beasts inspiring Scamander to write a book on his discoveries, and well, where to find them.

The trio’s worked well together and I enjoyed seeing what Rowling could do with a group of adults rather than young children and teenagers. I enjoyed the calm moments with the bunch exchanging banter as much as I did the moments of action during their monster chasing. The chemistry of the bunch, I believe, had something to do with the amazing acting of the cast and the real life friendships and bonds that were made of screen.

I applaud every member of the cast for the exceptional acting skills, giving life to the characters they essentially became. The standout star, in my opinion, was Edward Redmayne.

Eddie Redmayne (The Theory of Everything, Les Misérables) took the character of Newt Scamander, an unconventional, socially awkward wizard who never quite made it through all seven years at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and gave him life beyond the pages. Newts idiosyncrasies or quirks gave the character a familiar touch reminding anyone watching of an old friend.

But Redmayne didn’t make this movie alone. The entire cast was wonderfully selected. Ezra Miller as Credence, it was almost too much for my heart and Zoe Kravitz as Leda was the perfect decision.

Whereas Watersons’ character at times reminded of a stain in your favorite blouse. Waterson played the demoted, mind-blowing defensive witch with a sour side. And Dan Fogler’s character fit the mold of the stuffy nine to five businessmen with a dream to a tee.

I’m hopeful that the story only continues on in the same mind-blowing fashion and has as much as success as the latest franchise. I would recommend that you walk, no run, to go see this film before it leaves theaters. It’s worth it.