Thank you for your interest in the Dr. Phillips High School chapter of National Honor Society. National Honor Society membership is based on the four qualities of character, scholarship, leadership, and service. The selection process is based on the guidelines established by the National Association of Secondary School Principals, the parent organization of NHS.
Current junior and senior students who have attended Dr. Phillips for a minimum of one full academic semester and who have attained a cumulative, weighted GPA of 3.5 or higher may apply to be considered for NHS selection. Eligible students must complete a portfolio of information to be considered for NHS selection.
Candidate portfolios completed and submitted by the published deadline are then referred to the NHS Faculty Council, which convenes to select members. The chapter adviser attends this meeting in an advisory, non-voting capacity. The Faculty Council is expected to review each candidate thoughtfully, thoroughly, and objectively, exercising their discretion in a legitimate manner and in good faith. Since these members are persons in whom the principal places a high degree of trust, their deliberations and selections are final. NOTE: Completion of a candidate portfolio does not guarantee admission into NHS.
Applications for the 2023-24 school year will open
Tuesday, September 5, and close Friday, September 22.
Candidates must complete and submit all of the following by the deadline to be considered for NHS selection.
- Candidate information form (online form)
- Verification of cumulative GPA (screenshot included with information form)
- Verification of service hours (screenshot included with information form)
- Letter of Character Reference (hard copy)
- Parent Affidavit (hard copy)
It is the candidate’s responsibility to ensure that all five parts of the portfolio are completed/returned in a timely manner. Hard copy portions should be submitted to Mrs. Wells in Room 2-205. Candidates whose portfolios are incomplete at the deadline will not be considered for selection to National Honor Society.
DIRECTIONS FOR COMPLETING
THE APPLICATION PORTFOLIO
*please read all directions carefully*
CANDIDATE INFORMATION FORM
- Complete all information fully and accurately.
- You must include the names of four teachers who are willing to recommend you for NHS consideration. Teacher recommenders must be selected from your completed academic years. You may not select one of your current teachers unless that teacher has taught you in a previous year.
- You must obtain each teacher’s permission before submitting their name as a recommender.
- Teachers will be sent a form to complete; you do not need to request letters from the teachers.
- If you are a transfer student to Dr. Phillips, you may request teacher recommendations from your previous school. These may be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following subject line: NHS Recommendation – [Candidate Name]
You must be signed into Google using your OCPS credentials in order to access the online form.
VERIFICATION OF CUMULATIVE GPA
VERIFICATION OF COMMUNITY SERVICE HOURS
- GPA must be 3.5 cumulative, weighted.
- Senior candidates must have 75 service hours; juniors must have 50.
- Service hours must be recorded with guidance and reflected on your official transcript. Log sheets of unrecorded hours will not be accepted or considered. DO NOT WAIT UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE TO SUBMIT HOURS TO GUIDANCE! Counselors will not drop everything to record your hours on the spot.
- VERIFICATION: Upload two screenshots from Skyward to your candidate application.
GPA may be found by clicking the Gradebook tab, then clicking GPA just above your current grades.
Service hours may be found by clicking the Student Information tab.
Screenshots must show your name in order to be accepted.
LETTER OF CHARACTER REFERENCE
- The reference should provide information about the candidate’s personal character and leadership skills.
- Letter must be written by an adult in your community. This person must be over 21 years old and cannot be a family member or a member of the DPHS staff or faculty.
- All letters must include the reference’s contact information.
- Letter must be submitted in hard copy. Extraordinary circumstances requiring an emailed letter must be approved by Mrs. Wells.
- The candidate’s OCPS discipline record will also be reviewed as part of the selection process.
- Download a copy of the parent affidavit (link below).
- Your parent/guardian must review the policies and procedures for NHS selection at Dr. Phillips and indicate that they support your candidacy by signing the affidavit. Submit a hard copy of the signed affidavit to Mrs. Wells.
Questions? See Mrs. Wells in Room 2-205 or email her at email@example.com
Incomplete applications will not be considered.