Edgewater High School Newspaper Established 1952

Chemistry Kumbaya

Chemistry teacher Alexa Corbo takes a creative spin on the Kindergarten classic, Circle Time, calling her fourth period AP Chemistry class to join her in kumbaya and all things acids and bases.

The students were having troubles grasping the advanced concepts and Corbo found that the normal independence she allows her college level students in navigating the course wouldn’t suffice.

Known for being the most laid back and free spirited of the chemistry teachers Corbo couldn’t take the normal approach with a chalkboard lecture. It isn’t her style.

The desks pulled in a circle provided an intimacy that was allowed the flow of conversation and understanding. It was the most engaged the students had been in a lesson all year.

The students are captivated by the conversation going on among them. Mrs. Corbo leads them through a dissociation problem.

In addition to having the students close together forcing an exchange of thoughts Corbo suggested everyone grab a whiteboard and follow along in each problem as she explains them.  The whiteboards were also used for an informal pop quiz.

She’d ask for a visual of a compound being dissociated and they’d write down their answer before holding it up for approval. This way she was able to provide immediate feedback if someone was unsure and gauge where the class was in understanding.

Eliana Mirra, sophomore, actively participates in the lesson writing down viable information that will help her come test day.

Corbo’s unorthodox teaching method proved to be very helpful and at the end of the class period, everyone walked away from the circle feeling a lot more confident about the material.

Gabrielle Brice, Eliana Mirra, Adante McFadden, and Samuel Hewitt take part in the kumbaya circle listening as Mrs.Corbo explains titrations and buffers.
Hannah Hartsgrove and Harper Self team up to work out a complicated equilibrium problem.

Add a Comment