Edgewater High School Newspaper Established 1952

Kwanzaa: An African American Holiday

Kwanzaa was founded in 1966 by Dr. Maulana Karenga, born Ronald McKinley Everett, as a holiday to bring the African-American community together. It was created following the Watts riots in Los Angeles, a very difficult time in which blacks were facing adversity with race and politics.

Kwanzaa lasts for 7 days and is celebrated between December 26 and January 1. The weeklong celebration focuses on the 7 basic principles of African culture.

Day one, Umoja, or unity, is celebrated by all family members. The center black candle on the Kinara is lit, and the person who lights it shares a story or a poem on unity. A cup of fruit juice is passed amongst the family members as well, a symbol of togetherness.

The same process continues for the rest of the week.

Day two, is Kujichagulia, the day of self-determination. It encourages blacks to use their wisdom and their tongues to speak up for themselves and to reach their goals.

The third day is Ujima, the day dedicated to collective work and responsibility. This day is to get the African American community to come together as a unit and to solve our individual problems together.

Day four, Ujamaa, is the day of cooperative economics. On this day, the black-owned businesses are restored. Everything from renovating the shops themselves to purchasing products takes place to ensure the thriving of the business.

The fifth day is called Nia, which is the day of purpose. The black community comes together to remind themselves of their roots and where they want to go in life.

Day six is the day of Kuumba, the day dedicated to creativity, which is usually celebrated by African American artists coming together and sharing artworks.

The seventh and final day is called Imani, which means faith. This day is to honor the courage, strength, and faith of the African American community and to restore the assurance that there is and will be more victory obtain and more adversity to overcome.

Kwanzaa is mainly centered around the reconstructing of the black community, rather than a religious holiday. Still, it is a relatively new holiday/practice, and often times religious, mainly Christian and Islamic, practices are incorporated into the week-long celebration.