With summer just a couple weeks away, everyone needs a light, refreshing dessert. This lemon cake is a delicious treat for any summer day.
- 1½ cup flour
- 1 (3.4 oz.) package of instant lemon pudding mix
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp. softened butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 tsp. lemon extract
- ⅓ cup fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ¾ cup plain Greek yogurt
- zest of one lemon
- 3 tbsp. softened butter
- 1½ cup powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. lemon extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line the bottom of a 5 x 9 loaf pan with a piece of waxed paper. (With a pencil, trace the bottom of the pan on a piece of waxed paper and cut out with scissors.) Spray the pan and waxed paper with non-stick baking spray, then set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, pudding mix, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- With an electric mixer, combine the eggs, sugar, butter, vanilla, lemon extract, lemon juice, oil and yogurt. Mix until evenly combined.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet, making sure to stop and scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the lemon zest and mix until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out crumb free.
- After baking, let the cake cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes. Run a knife around the sides of the pan, flip the pan and remove, remembering to remove the waxed paper from the bottom. Cool completely on a cooling rack.
- Combine the butter, lemon juice and lemon extract with electric mixer. Gradually add the powdered sugar, and beat until smooth and creamy.
- Evenly spread the frosting over the top of the cake.
- Refrigerate to let frosting set completely before slicing. Refrigerate any leftovers in an airtight container.